Each URI will point to an RDF document that is hosted on servers maintained by the project. Within the RDF document, there will be documentation about what the URI denotes (what database it is), links to various versions of the records (XML, ASN, HTML), links to corresponding resources that use the shared naming scheme, links to external resources ("For example, the RDF for PubMed record 15456405 could link out to the iHOP page for the article described by the PubMed record."), and other information that might be useful to humans or computers.
The project has a wiki that discusses the cyberinfrastructure (technical and administrative) issues they're working out. One technical issue I think I teased out from the Use Cases page is that some "records" may be contained in other records (just as an image may be contained inside an article but is still be a resource in itself), so how do you indicate the level of granularity you want? They also discuss what metadata they should provide for each URI. I don't fully understand how one would use these shared names in a practical sense, but I thought it might be worth pointing out since we've talked a bit about (albeit vaguely) about data sets talking to each other. Similar projects mentioned on the Shared Names wiki are MIRIAM and Integr8, though I don't know how this project and those are similar or different.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.